Tuesday 27 October 2009

Alphabet Soup Part 1





These are my final designs


This is what the letterforms looked like after I had traced the details of the car components onto them.


Because the Haynes manual components are very detailed I decided that the font should be quite simple so that none of the emphasis and effect would be lost. I Decided on a font called Myriad pro that I found in Adobe Illustrator.

My plan was to trace various parts of the Haynes manuals onto the letterforms and then transfer them on new print outs.


I then to traced over various parts in the Haynes manual to see what effect I could create. I decided to use every aspect of the Haynes manual diagrams including various dotted lines, numbers and the engine components themselves.


Detailed view electrical components in Haynes manual


Inside if a Haynes manual


This is the inside of a Haynes manual


This is a cover of a Haynes manual

I decided that it would be really interesting to look at the deconstruction of car engines, as this could make a really detailed piece of design. I decided to look at some Haynes car manuals on the internet to see if this idea could work.



These are the fonts that I considered to use for the word
DECONTRUCT



I began to experiment with typefaces to see which ones would be suited for the word DECONTRUCT.
I decided that I would need a fairly complex font so that there would be more for me to work with rather than a plain font which would be quite challenging to pull apart.

This is a my brainstorm that I used to make me start thinking about the word and come up with some ideas that I could use to take the project further.

These are some of the objects that I thought could represent the word deconstruct.

  • Buildings
  • Engines
  • Body parts
  • Brain
  • Trees
  • Nature
  • Rubix cubes
  • Explosions



For this project we where asked to select a word from the randomizer. I selected the word

DECONSTRUCT.

We where then asked to come up with a set of 10 letterforms that represented this word.



No comments:

Post a Comment